04 Feb Skin Anatomy 102 – One Skin Part 5 of 12
Welcome to Skin Anatomy 102!
Part 5 of 12 in our One Skin series.
- The skin consists of basically 3 compartments:
- Subcutaneous Layer
- They all have separate functions
- The epidermis and dermis can be modified by life style, diet and skin care.
- The subcutaneous layer is mostly fat tissue and is not easily modified, except by diet and liposuction.
- Thick subcutaneous tissue heals better and has less scarring than areas of thin subcutaneous tissue.
- Subcutaneous fat plays a non-glamorous role in humans, but is essential to whales and hibernating bears to supply insulation and food storage.